After consultation, it is time to move to APC. Let the bridge-building continue

After consultation, it is time to move to APC. Let the bridge-building continue

Press Statement by Atiku Abubakar, GCON, Turaki Adamawa and former Vice President, Federal Republic of Nigeria on his Resignation from the PDP and his Joining the APC.

In 2006, as a result of my firm stand in defence of our constitution and our democracy, my supporters and I were pushed out of our party, the Peoples Democratic Party, a party that we worked tirelessly with other compatriots to build as a vehicle to restore democracy to our country.  We later returned to that party in 2009 when a new leadership of the party and the country promised a new direction, a direction of inclusiveness, of internal democracy, of an end to impunity, adherence to the rule of law and respect for the dignity of members and Nigerians.

Sadly, however, those promises have not been kept.  In addition, the PDP continues to be beset with many crises, mostly leadership-induced crises.  It has since lost touch with Nigerians and efforts made by many well-meaning members and stakeholders to bring it back to the vision of the founders have been rebuffed.  To demonstrate the seriousness of the challenges and bring public attention to it I and some other leaders and stakeholders staged a walkout during the party’s last convention in Abuja.

As I speak, most of the issues that led to that walk-out are yet to be addressed.  Many founding members of the PDP, I included, continue to be marginalized and excluded from the affairs of the party. For instance as a former Vice President, I am by virtue of the PDP constitution, a member of the party’s Board of Trustees and its National Executive Committee.  However, I am not invited to the meetings of those organs nor consulted on their decisions, apparently because I dared to exercise my right to contest in the party’s primary election for a chance to be its flag-bearer in the 2011 elections.  We have, therefore, concluded that that party cannot be redeemed. In short the PDP has abandoned Nigerians, the very people who gave it life and many electoral victories.

More worrisome though is the danger posed to the continued existence of this country by this culture of impunity and arbitrariness.  We continue to have threats from officially protected political extremists.  Increasingly our people are recklessly being divided along the lines of religion, ethnicity and region for political gains.  Our history and that of many other countries in Africa and Eastern Europe ought to teach us that this is very dangerous and must stop.

We can and we must do better. Our people deserve better.

It is against this background that we should understand the visit by the leaders of the APC and their invitation to me to join hands with them to save the country. Consequently, I have been consulting my supporters and associates, my family and friends for the past few weeks.  My decision may not satisfy some of my friends and associates.  In the end, however, I have to put the interest of our country first.  This country has done so much for me personally and it deserves all that we can do to help rebuild it and serve our people better.

Following this extensive consultative process, I have, therefore, decided to cast my lot with the APC, a party of changecommitted to the improvement of the lives of our people and to the continued existence and development of Nigeria as one indivisible country.  My resignation letter as a member of the PDP will be delivered to the party tomorrow.

This is the right decision.  As in 2006 it is the struggle for democracy and constitutionalism and service to my country and my people that are driving my choice and my decision. Let me emphasize that this is not about me. We have to have a country before people can aspire to lead it, but as it is today we may be losing this country. That is not acceptable.

I encourage my political associates and friends to register andjoin the APC once the registration exercise commences, so that together we can change this country for the better.
The process of building a nation, of securing and deepening democracy is indeed difficult.  And it is not a lineal process.  There would be alignment and realignment of political forces. There would be ups and downs and zig-zags, triumphs and challenges.  Amidst all that, patriots must remain focused and do what has to be done to save and build the country and serve our people better.

That is what I have decided to do. I will do all within my God-given powers to help the APC win elections all over Nigeria and bring true change to our country and its long-suffering people.
Thank you and God bless Nigeria.

Atiku Abubakar, GCON
(Turaki Adamawa)
Former Vice President, Federal Republic of Nigeria.

shareFacebookGoogle+TwitterLinkedIn

75 Comments on "After consultation, it is time to move to APC. Let the bridge-building continue"

• samir says

Allah yayi maka jagora!

• Bulus. says

You did ensure justice in your home state – Adamawa- while you were leader (VP). Therefore I can’t support you.

• I wish you well Sir. May Allah grant you the strength to move on. God bless you

• NMG Aliyu VT says

This is a vary wonderful decision and a step forward to better Nigeria. May Allah help us deliver the best to nigeria and nigerians. (Nuru)

• john igoh says

Nice decision I suppose.with this now,what will be the fate of pdm?

• yusuf ammani ahmed says

U are wellcome Alhaji abubakar Atiku

• kizo says

I admire your courage and decision to move to APC however my candid opinion if I was in your shoes would have been to remain in the kitchen until I become the regulator of the heat in the kitchen. It is difficult to approach an issue from outside. Weldon sir.

• Olumide A says

As earlier predicted

• Muhammad Bobboi says

Turaki as from today lam also a member of APC anywhere you go that’s where I belong to

• Umar says

Allah ya taimaki Turakin Adamawa. May God continue to guide you Sir.

• knx says

Hahaha you know what’s funny, we all know that PDP is full of criminals, now the APC are inviting this same criminal for dinner, the the PDP would bring in fresh candidates come 2015, since we now know that the criminals are now in APC, will now now be wise to vote this criminals into power because they decide to change their garments? NO!!! APC is only making the PDP strong, sad that atiku did not think before jumping ship

• Ahmed Abba Gana says

I swear Atiku is a natural born leader. One of the greatest politicians the north has ever produced.

• Indeed Atiku is a born leader. if only he will keep to his words,let make this country a better for us all

• …good move. But i wish to state that Atiku is welcomed to join the fight to return this country to prosperity. But i also wish to emphasize that we need generational change, so therefore if Atiku left PDP to APC only with the sole aim of flying the Presidential flag then he has failed himself and the people who respect him. He should help us reclaim power back to the people and shouldn’t necessarily be the recipient of that Power… This advise also extends to Buhari. I think the youths of this country deserve respect and a chance to lead this country back to economic prosperity. so we call for a generational change in leadership. There is nothing wrong if a young and fresh hands flies the APC presidential flag.
    Atiku, thanks for securing our democracy all this years. we will continue to engage you in an advisory capacity

• Remi says

Let whoever want to be president worked for it. No youth should expect presidency on the platter of gold again like GEJ. The platform is there for them to slot it out with the elderlies.

• Nice move, and best wishes in your future endeavor.

• Tunji Ojetola says

Great! Just great!!!!

• atos says

Wise and great decision sir.

• Igba Gordonz says

Your decision to join forces with the progressives to save Nigeria ois worthy of note and will rewarded accordingly.may God continue to bless and protect U even as I pledge my unalloyed support and loyalty.Carry on Sir.

• ridwan ojetunde says

Weldone sir.May Allah help us to rebuild the country through APC.

• Ndubuisi Ebitea says

Your excellency,
    I sincerely praise your boldness and commitment to the building of this country. Majority of discerning and sincere Nigerians remain aware of your contribution to the formation of PDP and it’s present leaders have steered away from its original intentions. They are also aware that you are fighter for what is right and just, recall your dogged and resilient fight against “the powers that be” between 2003 and 2007. I may not have met you in person, but I have tremendous admiration and respect for you. I am convinced that your is targeted at a better Nigeria. May I encourage you to use your God given ability, which you have used to manage men and resources to an enviable advantage, to contribute to the building of APC to the glory of God. I wish you all the best in APC.
    Ndubuisi Ebitea,
    Maitama.

• isempa says

Sir I love ur courage but pls suport who ever Apc might choose as their presidential candidate to unseat this devilish pdp

• DNG olayinka says

To be frank making a change is very hard especially for adults. However if Atiku could do this disregarding mental, emotional and social attachment, he is really to be seen as being very dynamic.
    For some of us to change the position of our bed at home is some change we can’t cope with, even dealing with our grown up children- we would rather keep them as kinds. Atiku should be watched closely and his leadership heart in this regard is very generous.
    Change making is exceptional leadership.

• Olaofe Ajayi says

Good reasonong BUT is Nigeria not tending to a one-party nation? With the influx of every defecting member of PDP to APC, is APC not another PDP in the making? Can’t another contending party be formed with credible people like your excellency? Please watch out so you may not be subject to be rubbished when matters would start unfolding. Shalom your Excellency.

• Kris says

U are welcome to APC, hope your defecting to APC will help strengthen the party not only in Adamawa but the Country at large.
    Bravo!!

• Yarima says

You’re welcome to this great party(Noah’s ark) APC but my advice to you should only be as you said interest of Nigeria, we have suffered enough as poor to be deceived again. We want a great future for our children and there children so that they have a better world a world that there parents never see but dreamed.

• Alhamdulillah,the only vacuum left is now filled. Sir,thank u for reasoning, understanding,concern for nigerians and for joining APC.I personally will continue to support u and your supporters to the best of my ability inorder to rescue nigeria from the current situation it stands. May Allah(swt)help us fulfil our wishes for our dearest country nigeria.
    God bless u,Apc and Nigerians.

• Well, We https://t.co/5QW4C5QZKY wish you all the best Sir comforth 2015!

• kris says

Atiku is just a selfish man dt only wants to actaualise his selfish dreams. Ur moves are not geniune. Always jumping from one party to another, especially when it doesn’t favour him. Am so disapoointed in u sir.

• Babs Adewumi says

Interesting! I just hope that all of hell will not break lose when the jostling for presidential nomination commences in the APC. Atiku for sure will be keen to fly that ticket. How he reacts should he not win the ticket will be a testament to his maturity.

I expect that he would have learnt one or two considering his sojourn in 2007 (lost as aspirant under AC) and 2011 (lost the primaries to GEJ). 2015 is yet around the corner! I suspect that Atiku may have seen the writing on the wall that GEJ will sure get the PDP ticket, hence the early move to the APC.

Whether this is a right move is yet to be seen. If the objective is to vie for the presidency, this move looks to me only a slight increase in probability of a successful primaries attempt. However, if the objective is to join forces with those who plan to wrest power from GEJ come 2015, then Atiku looks destined to smile come 2015.

All the best Turaki Adamawa.

• Ola says

Whatever you decide i believe you must have thought about it n i trust you took d best decision…i trust your decisions .i believe in u.i pray God Almighty will grant you your heart desires n good health n a long life.i also pray this new party favours you…what no one knows ,God knows …so my dear just pray n have faith in your dreams n in God that has brought you ds far.will gv u exactly what you want.ISA.Amin…i love you …Nigeria loves you……We all love you His Excellency Atiku Abubakar …..

• samson ogbemudia says

Nice 1 sir u ar welcome 2 APC

• Your Excellency…a good and deft political move. You know how to build bridges across d landscape…but pls help get credible and visionary people to actualise d dreams of our founding fathers.

• Kumayon KolawoleFelix says

You have taken a good decision to move Nigeria forward.May the ALMIGHTY GOD help you all to sweep all the corrupt leaders away.

• Adm. Adebiyi Phillips says

Welcome back to d fold of d progressive. Congratulations for seeing d light and dumped darkness. Welcome on board

• Murtala Tafidan Sakwa says

Alhamdulillah. I remained very grateful with your good decision in good time. May almighty Allah continue to guide and protect you alongside every one of us. You’re once more welcome to the progressive peoples.

• mre idtis says

Allah ya sa haka YAFI alheri

• auwal s says

Gent;
    Well,well, well! Its indeed not by our power, control or loquacious attitude that things are happening to the best interest of Nigerians in this very trying and unpredictable period. Its the WILL of almighty Allah. The only existing living God clearly decided to hear our long over due prayers to bring in a party that could restore our lost hopes,inspiration, integrity,fairness, economic down turn, improve on our bastardized natural or man made harnessed resources, our educational sector, POWER sector, and many more aspect of our living standard. I can’t list stop without our brutalized security outfits and Nigerian defence policy. The exit of people like Atiku may God bless you our Ex President (don’t correct me about his former appointment) to APC I strongly believed that we are about to smile. Am not in anyway a political fan due some reasons behind my control. But, the most important of all am a sane individual and am a Nigerian and leaving right here. So far based on my candid assessment PDP succeeded in capsizing Nigeria and we need some strong individuals the likes of Atikus and co to re set the capsizing ship on course once again. Your Excellency please permit to borrow some words of the prior comments I read here: please kindly take a tour to the generation of Nigerian Youths when stirring the affairs of this great nation. One more thing please people like Buhari should not enforce themselves on us. I have nothing against the General however, let him allow some new chaps try their luck. Please am not good@ political games however, the likes of Kwankwaso,Fashola,Rochas Okorocha, People Like General Sale Rtd presently in Senate, El-Rufai, Nuhu Ribadu,Adams of Edo State, Retired General Munguno(someone we thought he could be called be called upon to act as Minister of Defence to set the excesses of the security outfits because he will and and he could put everyone on his toes to do what’s expected of him or her. If I start listing men of honour and fair integrity the entire page may not be enough. The people I mentioned here should please be contacted. May God bless Nigeria and Nigerians.

• Nasiru Degri says

i shed tears of joy n simpathy for our nation turakin Adamawa. democracy must work.Nigeria first .

• Hon.Tunji Bale says

What a nice decision,I know it’s God’s time to salvage Nigeria and bring about the desire positive change Nigerians are yearning for.joining the progressives @ this point in Nigeria political crises is the best option left for any serious,sincere and patriotic Nigerian politician or voter as well,because we have only this country and we must strive hard to protect its sovereignty and unity..you are mostly welcome to the progressive circle…togetherness we shall join hands to dislodge the evil ( PDP) @ the centre of Nigerian affairs and install an APC government both @ federal,states and local governments in Nigeria…..congratulations!!! Sir.i wish u all the best in your future endeavors

• Boniface Archibong says

It is a big surprise Turaki Adamawa and our former Vice President, it is sad because it is not the best thing to do, to abandon what you have built over the years just like that. The APC we feel is promising today, as it is the issue with life, will also start having cracks and defects soon. Will you also leave APC at that time??? He that fights and runs away,will live to fight another day!!!!

• At last! In 1804, Usman Dan Fodio on giving Modibbo Adama the mandate as a flagbearer said, “Whatever you do you should do it promptly, for too much discussion ruins the best intentions.” It’s a good thing the consultations are over. Wish you luck, Turaki Adamawa.

• Salihu says

Now APC’s presidential flag bearer comes 2015 has emerged!

• yusuf says

you should always look inside and beyond the picture to see the real image. lets work and build a one Nigeria may Allah help us all to the right direction.

• babatunde says

this is a very wonderful decision by @atiku, we are with you all the way. I see robust ideas and discussions being introduced into the opposition group

• I applaud this move, and look forward to Atiku’s leadership role in the new party, APC. The train is leaving the station, and soon enough History will be made, as in Ghana and Brazil.

• Fisoye says

Wish u all the best sir. I always believe u mean well for this country!

• Remi USI Ekiti says

This is a great decision and we have been waiting for it. However, I am ready to start work on it as my contribution towards your assumption of the office of presidency come 2015.

• OKOLI EMMANUEL OGBUEFI says

CONGRATULATIONS SIR,AM GOING TO APC WITH YOU

• Ahmad Isa Abba says

May Allah your and other compatriots on this journey in the path that will lead to salvaging what would be left of our country- Nigeria.

• Ahmad Isa Abba says

May Allah guide your intentions and other compatriots on this journey in the path that will lead to salvaging what would be left of our country- Nigeria by 2015.

• eka says

All of a sudden, every one wants to safe Nigeria, even people who have had to serve this country previously, so u just leave for the sole aim of being the candidate.

• manny says

Dear Turakin Adamawa, don’t be deceived by all these “lost” Nigerians here praising you for decamping and expressing their support.
    Pardon me but most Nigerians are still waiting for answers to questions like; why you can not travel to a particular country, your role in the corruption saga surrounding the PTDF while you were VP, and if you were clean while in the customs service, before we give you our support.
    We are truly tired of power mongers hiding under PDP, APC and other parties.
    We have to be convinced that whomever we are electing is clean and ready 2 serve. Enough of lip service and deceit. Nigerians are politically awake now more than ever and come 2015, we shall decide. We shall have the last laugh.
    God bless my dear country Nigeria

• Muhammad B. Marafa says

(Almighty) Allah at work… Our prayers accepted!

• Braveheart says

The footstool of wisdom has never been the property of selfish mortals but of men who are reverenced and made great while alive by their actions and long after they are gone by what people say of him…

• Shapu says

Funny…

• Don D says

APC is made up of 70% decamped PDP members. doesn’t make sense to me

• henry timi, USA says

Sir, Atiku is one of the few leaders that love this country Nigeria. His Daughter, Dr. Atiku, left the comfort of practicing medicine in US for Nigeria. Its a grate sacrifice the young Dr. made and that has been the hallmark of the Atiku’s family. However, this may be a welcome development, We need to understand what APC stands for and how they plan to solve the many challenges facing Nigeria.

• Saidu Hamdullahi says

Baba Turaki, I have been saying it, this is where you rightly belong. You will surely find people who like justice and the rule of law in APC. Please make it the party to envy, trust and lean on. Welcome Sir.

• PDP failed Nigeria. I feel sorry for Nigeria. We need to give a new party an opportunity and see if they can bring joy and happiness to the ordinary Nigerian people. Atiku, I like your boldness and I hope APC wins next election.

In economics, it is a norm that competition brings innovation and improvement. If APC can bring that competition that Nigerian politics needs, let it be!

I see the politicians I respect joining APC. All I want is Nigeria to be good. I am sad and happy. Like Fela, Suffering and Smiling for my nation

• Linear says

Just another farce by our prostitute politician that lack morals and principles of common governance, than to lie and rape their will on the general society. May God forgive you all

• Ayokunl(TURAYA) says

Your Excellency, this move is landmark, timing and courageous. You have proved once again that you are not a party to impunity rather are you draconian in your political approach, Atiku is an embodiment of Courage, Energy, Big heart and uncommon philanthropical prowess that will remain your emblem for the rest of your eventful and humanitarian life.
    I and my group TURAYA will support you to any level, your yes is our yes and your no is our no because you have demonstrated politics without bitterness which is very important to us your followers.
    Please sir ensure the APC is not enveloped with crisis as PDP had been over the years, Please use your experience to settle all conflicts on ground before they degenerate. Ensure sir, that the sinking ship of PDP does not drag APC into political mud and turmoil.
    I on behalf of my Group, associate and family will always be loyal to you and will support your ambition at any given time.
    Ride on Turaki Adamawa. Ayo National President of TURAYA

• Olami says

Atiku made a right decision. I wish this decision is not bias. U had lead this country for sometimes. Ur experience and contribution is what we needs from people like u. Not to come and struggle for tickets.

• sirOscie.......... says

WELL DONE SIR, A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION SIR. WE WISH YOU WELL

• chuks says

Atiku can never be remembered for any public- oriented achievement save for his selfish ambition of presiding over Nigeria which has been driving to and fro political parties. I have no single respect for selfish criminals.

• Adamu says

It’s good hear such from you my mentor, with what I just read now, you have chose right sir. I give you my 100% support. Me and my family, the Bulama family., we support you sir. Carry go

• Daramola says

Haba. Oga. A tiki. Pdp toAcn back to Pdp and now to Apc. Apc will not trust you with the presidential ticket. That one is sure

• BARR. KOLAWOLE G. ABDULSALAM says

TURAKI, we are all proud of you. Nigeria deserve Leaders of courage like you.The hallmark of a good and courageous leader is the ability to take the right decision which he is convinced of as the right decision without shaking. Sai Turaki ! We are tired of weak leaders like THE MAN WITHOUT SHOE!

• Tiger says

What is constant in life is change. your majest, may God guide you to do what is right; Nigerians are suffering, we need a honest leader with God fearing mind to drive the nation forward. I support you sir.

• Maduako King Nwabueze says

Fustration at the highest peak! For the fourth time Turaki is changing party! Turaki, i was one of your die hard fans but recently your maccabre dancing potraying yourself as a desperate politician who want to rule by all means jolted me back to consciousness. Go ahead and change party its not a new thing. I am not a PDP fan but will never support APC, the reason you gave here shows a total selfish ambition because you are changing party due to PDP are not giving you what is due to you. Turaki, are you the first Vice president Nigeria ever produce? I have asked you this question Before and i am asking again. Look at those before you, during your time as the Vice president did you ever give to them the things and respect that they desire? cant you see that you are a victim of Karma and is running in vain. And i bet you as usual with you, one day you will still run Back to PDP. To be honest Turaki, I love your doggedness but i will tell you sincerely that you are part of what spoilt Nigeria.
    When i look at the Team that is APC, i found a team of desprados, who want to rule by force! I came to believe that APC is the hood of fustrated criminals, people who are seeking for Immunity. Sponsors of Rancour in Nigeria. Tribalistic elements who believe that they are Born to rule. Religious Fanatics who have destroyed a beautiful country like Nigeria because they want to convert all convertable by force. I see in APC a buk of wolves sitting on a keg of gun powder, seeking for whom to devour. But soon, i tell you soon the keg will explode, the Rope tying the Broom will break and it will be as usual to your tent oh people. AA-AD-ADC-ACD-AC and now APC. A sinking man always seek for anything to hold even the air. Thanks TURAKI keep it on who knows the party you will join tomorrow. i thought that its your son who will be talking of politics now and not you. But i wont fail to comment on your matured way of commenting on Some National issues.

• David Akhiromen says

I salute your courage to move this second time again, I would advice you remain resolute this time around with APC no matter what! be part of the machinery to build up APC take it to better level than PDP so Nigeria can be said to have 2 solid party, PDP has failed Nigerians for close to 16 years they could not delivered on one viable project! you have been part of this PDP but I understood your stand then with OBJ who mess up PDP – thank you GOD bless Nigeria

• Gwaziri says

THANX 4 THE LOVE OF THE NATION AND MAY (S.W.T) TAKE YOU TO THE END OF THE BRIDGE, MITIGATE THE HURDLES TO BEARABLE MINIMAL ON WAY TO THE COMPLETION OF THE OF THE GREAT PURSUE OF THIS TREMENDOUS COURSE OF ACTION SIR, GOOD LUCK BUT NOT EBELE JONATHAN JUST ‘GOOD LOOK’

• adepoju solomon adewale says

change is very hard especially for adults. However if u mr Atiku could do this disregarding, emotional and social attachment, u are really to be seen as being very dynamic.
    For some of us to change the position of our bed at home is some change we can’t cope with, even dealing with our grown up children- we would rather keep them as kinds. mr Atiku should be watched closely and his leadership heart in this regard is very generous.
    Change making is exceptional leadership. Sir am ready to follow u…because I believe in change……..

• eze joseph ugoji. says

ON A MUCH SERIOUS NOTE,I MUST SAY THIS, BOTH ATIKU AND OTHER POLITICAL OFFICE SEEKERS,THERE IN NIGERIA ARE, ALL IDIOTIC,ANIMALISTIC, AND VERY STUPIDITY IN ALL THEIR DEALINGS,ALL OF THEM ARE NOW SAYING THEY ARE COMING TO SAVE THE COUNTRY FROM COLLAPSING,WHEN ARE ALL THE PROBLEM WE ARE FACING HERE IN NIGERIA,I COULD REMEMBER VIVIDLY WHEN HE ATIKU WAS THE THEN VICE PRESIDENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA,HE AND HIS CO STUPID POLITICIANS MISS MANAGED THE RESOURCES OF THIS COUNTRY TO VERY EXTENT HE BECAME THE MOST CORRUPT VICE PRESIDENT IN THE WHOLE WORLD. NOW HE IS TELLING US THAT HE IS COMING TO SAVE THE COUNTRY,THAT IS VERY NON SENSE OF HIM. MY OWN PRAYER FOR HIM AND ALL THE EVIL MEN AND WOMEN IN NIGERIA THAT ARE PARADING THEM SELVES AS LEADERS AND POLITICIANS IS THAT, GOD BY HIS ANGER MUST SURELY DESTROY ALL OF THEM INCLUDING THIS IDIOT CALLED ATIKU. PERIOD THAT IS MY PRAYER AND WISH FOR ALL OF THEM. AMEN AND AMEN.

Trackbacks